Saturday, 1 July 2017

Little Cotton Rabbit Makeover

I bought a knitted bunny last year made by a stall holder who used one of Julie Williams' patterns which you can find at Little Cotton Rabbits. (I don't think that the striped dress it came with is one of Julie's creations.)


Although I've no intention of trying to knit a bunny myself, I was looking through Julie's gorgeous patterns on Ravelry and found that she has made a fairly simple stranded dress bottom half freely available. I've wanted to have a go at colour work for quite some time but haven't had the courage to give a go. This seemed like an excellent opportunity to give my bunny a little makeover and learn something new at the same time.


First of all I stripped bunny of all the red. Whilst it looks lovely as a complete outfit the red shoes are a bit restrictive as they don't go with very much. 


So I chose green to make the bunny a bit more neutral looking and cobbled together some knitted covers for the feet which I edged with a bit of crochet to pull them in and make straps to hold them on.


Then I moved on to the dress bottom half. It was much easier than I thought it would be, although I don't think that I carried the yarn up the edges very well to begin with.


I've written how I made the top part here on my Ravelry project page in order to finish the dress off.


Hooked by the thrill of working in colour I got my squared paper out and started trying to come up with a design of my own.


Between the hearts I added dots afterwards by swiss darning as I think that I'd have ended up in a tangled mess if I tried to carry three colours at the same time.


The first and last columns of my hearts 'n' dots pattern are repeats of the second and second last columns so that there is a whole stitch on either side to sew in when seaming at the back.


I'm resisting the urge to make any more dresses and will perhaps channel my new found colour work addiction in to making something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment