I really have caught the sock bug, making them that is. This pair was originally started using another pattern called Rib Fantastic from Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn.
Unfortunately after a few weeks of persisting I went wrong and couldn't work out how to go backwards through the yarn overs so I abandoned it.
Then I picked another pattern, braided gem, from the same book and even though there were a few hiccups along the way I was able to recover and continue to move forwards.
The yarn is Rico Superba Circus in Fuchsia Mix. I had thought that the colours would be a bit more random but they came out in stripes. As you can see I didn't bother trying to match them.
The pattern creates socks which are quite stretchy and therefore really comfortable so I'll probably make them again.
Perhaps I should use a plain yarn next time so that the pattern isn't trying to compete with the colour changes in the yarn. I read that somewhere and think that it's good advice.