I'm happy with this little hexie blanket which is just the right size for what I want to use if for.
It's made with Stylecraft Special double knitting yarn in scappy little bits, including a pile of unpicked cream that I'd cut in to lengths, but unsuccessfully used when trying to solve problems with another blanket earlier this year, so I was pleased to get rid of it.
The flowers come from a pattern by Nicki Trench in her book called Cute and Easy Crochet Flowers and I made the hexagons up myself, crocheting in to the back of the flowers as I went around.
I haven't put squares together from the back before and I found it really difficult to slip stitch my way along the back of the hexies.
I lost count of the number of times when I thought I'd joined them in the wrong places too so it was quite a relief to get that bit over and done with. I think I'll stick to joining from the front in future!
The border, based on Cherry Heart's Weekender Blanket, wouldn't lie flat but I think that the main problem was that I had too many stitches in the corners (or whatever they are called for hexagons) so I reduced the number of stitches in the border to compensate and it seemed to work a lot better then.
I suppose that any crocheted flower from any pattern could be turned in to a shape and then a blanket too. The endless possibilities of crochet are mind boggling aren't they!