Monday, 6 July 2015

Sunshine Blanket

I've admired so many blankets made with sunburst squares that I had to try one for myself. In the absence of a pattern I made up the squares as I went along.


I made the middles with left over yarn and a tiny bit taken from my latest order of Stylecraft Special DK. I also bought four balls of cream for the last round of the squares and the outer edge of the border.


I had no idea how much cream I'd actually need and whilst I managed to edge 42 squares with one ball of yarn, I needed a bit of the fourth ball to complete the border so was relieved that I'd ordered it.


The center of each square is unique so it took more and more time checking that I wasn't duplicating a center as the number of squares grew.


When I'd made 77 squares I decided that was enough and started to join them together.


I looked for inspiration for a joining method other than double crochet and whilst I love the braided joins that I found on the internet I decided I wasn't brave enough to try one just yet.


Instead I went for a single crochet join and I was pleased with the result.


I then started to think about the border and spent ages looking on the internet and in my Edie Eckman Around the Corner Crochet Borders book.


I decided to start with a few rounds of trebles before I moved on to # 110 in Edie's book.



The outer round of the border is curling a bit but I've been assured by folk on Ravelry that blocking will sort this out. I haven't done it yet because it's been too hot around here to use an iron.


This blanket was really fun to make and is a lovely and simple alternative to the granny square.


If only all my crocheting endeavors were as smooth going as this one!

4 comments:

  1. Hello from Australia
    Another lovely blanket, I also love the border. How did you do your pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops missed a bit - AFTER '3 double treble, chain 2, 3 double treble in the next chain loop of the previous round', ADD '3 treble in the next chain loop of the previous round' BEFORE 'and repeat around the sunburst to complete the square.

      Delete
  2. Hi and thanks. I assume you're asking about the pattern for the squares? If so, this is what I did in UK terms.

    With first colour, chain 5 and slip stitch join to form a ring then 16 trebles in the ring.

    With second colour, treble cluster in a treble of the previous round using 2 trebles then chain 1 and repeat around.

    With third colour, treble cluster in a chain loop of the previous round using 3 trebles then chain 2 and repeat around.

    The sunburst part of the square is now complete so on to the outer square part with another colour, 3 half treble in a chain loop of the previous round, 3 treble in the next chain loop of the previous round, 3 double treble, chain 2, 3 double treble in the next chain loop of the previous round and repeat around the sunburst to complete the square.

    Hope this makes sense!

    ReplyDelete