Tuesday, 25 November 2014

Nuts about Granny Squares

An advert appeared on TV a couple of years ago for a new magazine, The Art of Crochet, and I immediately fell in love with the throw.  Whilst the launch issue only cost about £1, it would have cost around £350 (if my math's is correct) to buy a further 119 issues of the magazine to get the instructions for the rest of the squares.


I homed in on the granny square shown in the bottom left corner of one of the accompanying leaflets and after looking at granny square images on the internet I was hooked and just had to make a granny blanket.

I already had a small stash of Wendy cotton left over from knitting for little relatives years ago so all I lacked was the knowledge of how to make granny squares.  I found a couple of lovely books containing lots of lovely crochet projects on Amazon for about £15, much cheaper than the magazine.

Cuppa Crochet

I haven't knitted very much in the past and didn't get on very well with remembering patterns which involved more than one type of stitch.  I was always frightened that I might drop a stitch, knowing full well that I wouldn't be able to pick it up again.  Crochet is definitely for me, only one stitch to concentrate on at a time, and the results are far more versatile and impressive than any knitting I've done.

I can't remember exactly how long it took me to make my first granny square (small square) blanket, maybe a couple of months, but I was chuffed to bits with the end result, especially the frilly edge and the fact that it was all joined together as I went along.

Cuppa Crochet


Cuppa Crochet


No comments:

Post a Comment