Wednesday, 18 April 2018

Fair Isle and C2C Triangles

I still dream of making some beautiful Fair Isle but I haven't yet found a pattern that I trust myself to complete. Instead I've recently scratched the itch for the time being by copying patterns from sections of a shop bought cardigan.


The little bag that I've made isn't perfect and I'll have to find out how to avoid creating holes when finishing one section and starting another. There's always something new to learn but one way around it that I've since discovered is to knit with one plain yarn and one self changing coloured yarn, hey why didn't I think of that? That method would also get rid of all the ends too.

I've also been trying out something new, C2C. I chose Tatsiana Kupryianchyk's triangles from the C2C Pastel Triangles Pillow pattern. I absolutely love the squishy texture of this little blanket and thoroughly enjoyed making the triangles so I'll definitely try C2C again.

Both of these projects were made with Stylecraft Special double knitting yarn in the following colours - clematis, wisteria, violet, magenta, plum, candyfloss, fondant and raspberry. I've pretty much used up all the leftover recycled yarn from an old blanket so now I can chose some new yarn to work with :-)

Sunday, 25 March 2018

Gloves, Gloves and more Gloves

It's been such a lovely, sunny and surprisingly warm day today, it really feels like Spring. Now that the clocks have gone forward and the first blossom is appearing I think that Winter may be over at last.

This month I've finally finished three pairs of knitted gloves. I didn't use a pattern and simply knitted a bit of twisted rib, then stocking stitch.

The grey gloves are made with James C Brett Marble double knitting in the very descriptive colourway called MT4 and the colourful pair are made with Regia 4-f├Ądig in colourway Papillon.

The gloves look pretty nestled between the pictures of the blossom and are just right for the new season. Hopefully I won't need to wear them much now and then I can tuck them away until later on in the year when the weather turns and I'll need them again.

Sunday, 11 March 2018

Pink and Purple

Earlier this year I posted about these pink and purple granny squares which you can read more about here. Since then I've added the cream to take away the heaviness of the solid colour, doesn't it make a difference? I  joined the squares together as I added the cream rounds and completed the blanket with a simple scalloped border. I am super happy with this one because granny squares are one of my favourite crochet makes and I absolutely love, love, love these colours together :-)

Tuesday, 27 February 2018

Winter Bites Back

In one way Winter seems to have slipped by quickly this year if you forget about the never ending dark mornings and evenings, the worst of which are thankfully over now. I'm enjoying watching how high the sun gets in the sky compared with only a month or so ago. Although the branches and hedgerows are still as bare as can be we've been treated to a wonderful display of yellow by a hazel tree in our garden.

Throughout February the lambs tails have wriggled and jumped about in the breeze and hung limp on still days providing the only colour around here other than evergreens.

It won't be long before colour breaks out everywhere as we turn towards Spring. That's what I thought until I saw the weather forecast at the week-end.

Winter isn't going to give way to Spring just yet as snow and biting winds pile in from the east. It's unusual to have snow so late in the season and it's pretty to look at if you don't have to travel anywhere. I'm happy to watch the snowflakes tumble down for a few days so long as the winds then change direction and bring us a taste of Spring. Ah very nearly here...